Sunday 28 July 2019

Internet on the move part 3 (6 years on!)

A big challenge in 2013 was maintaining an internet connection. My master plan this time was to buy an Aldi SIM card in Germany. It should work throughout Europe and give as affordable connectivity. So we did a big shop in Aldi Süd in München and bought a sim. They needed my passport to register and assured me it would take 12 hours to be active. I also bought a 10 euro top up so 30 Euro total. But despite repeated attempts to top or activate it would not work. The owner of campsite in Berstesgarten tried but nothing worked. So 30 Euro wasted.

What we really needed was GPS to navigate around. I discovered that google maps cached (rememberers) the route and maps really well. So as long as you could find a wifi connection at the start that was enough to get to our destination.

If I needed to change destination I briefly switched on mobile data roaming on my Australian Aldi sim. This was $0.50 but as long as only used for maps it did not work too bad.

In summary maintaining an affordable connection on the move is still challenging. And Aldi Germany owe 30 Euro!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.